Monday, May 16, 2011

Waiting for Chicken

This weekend I wanted some Chicken Express, something I only get on rare occasions because of the notoriously awful service. And this encounter did not disappoint. I waited in the drive through lane for 30 minutes and watched as people behind me were given chicken. It’s not like they ordered anything different from what I ordered. I didn’t get anything crazy. Those people went home eating my chicken (if you were behind me in line, you know who you are). To make matters worse, when I got home I realized that I was shorted 2 sides, and as we had a lot of company, I drove back to the restaurant to pick up what was rightfully mine. And then to top it all off, I heard several teenage employees complaining about how they never get any tips.

It was at that point that my head exploded. If only the chicken wasn’t so delicious, I would never have to go to that terrible place. I was never unkind to anyone working at the restaurant, but I still wonder if the condition of my heart was right (although after eating that much fried chicken, I am even more concerned about the condition of my heart).

I have been trying to teach my 2 year old about patience, something she is struggling with. And yet, as I try to explain this concept to her, I am beginning to realize that even as an adult I have not yet mastered it. I look at the things that make her frustrated, and I can see as a grown up that it is no big deal. I wonder if God looks at us the same way. He has the long view, He knows the plan, and He understands what matters and what doesn’t. I think wants to say to me “just wait, it will all be ok.” Often we want everything now, and we want to reach the end without the benefits of the journey. It’s in those moments when God whispers, “if you would only relax, you would see that this difficult moment is part of the greater plan I have for you, and you need to learn something in this waiting period so that we can move forward to the thing you’ve been waiting for.”



1 comment:

  1. I noticed that your blog doesn't get commented on very much. Just wanted you to know you are appreciated. (Maybe not by the kids at Chicken Express) But you rate with us at Calvary. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete