Wednesday, August 25, 2010

New New New


Tonight is our first night of youth for the new school year. That means that all the seniors are gone, and our new 7th graders will be there. We have a new sermon series, a new logo, a new band, a new ministry strategy, and a new attitude (well, at least Patti Labelle does).

I’m excited about tonight, though I really don’t know what will happen. With new ideas come new, unforeseen issues. I know everything will go well, but I just want it to go really well. I want a good first impression, to start on the right foot.

It’s tempting for me to want things at church to go well because I want to look good. I want the students to think that I’m a cool youth pastor, and I want the adults to think that I have my act together. But as I’ve been going through my day and praying for tonight, my heart is really for excellence so that Jesus can look good. There are so many other reasons I can have to do a good job tonight, but the real reason I want it to be a good, exciting night at church is because I want Him to receive the praise that He’s due. There’s been kind of a lull in our attitude at church over the summer, and I’ve realized that the blah attitude we’ve had toward church has translated into a blah attitude for Christ, and He deserves so much more than that. So tonight I will do my best work and give everything I have for one purpose and one purpose only, to bring glory to my Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment