Thursday, February 23, 2012

Soaked

Today I had a plan. I knew exactly what I was going to do. It was something that I’d done many times before, kind of an occupational hazard. We had played a messy game last night in youth, and I had left the cleaning of the tarp until this morning. I did what I always did, took it outside to hose it off. Nothing special, nothing different. I even took account of the wind. I thought that surely if I stood upwind of the spray, I would have no problem quickly hosing down the tarp to get the major nasties off and could clean up the details with a rag later. This seemed logical. But this was not to be. The minute I started working I knew that something wasn’t quite right, but not wanting to waste water I blasted ahead.

When I was done the entire right side of my body was completely soaked.

I had done everything right, and my plan still didn’t work, and as I drove home to change my clothes I realized that life works like this an awful lot. We do all the right things, we plan ahead, we account for everything, and yet things still don’t go according to our plans. We don’t always understand the hows and whys, exactly what went wrong. And it’s in those moments that I’m glad that God is bigger than I am. Life is loaded with highs and lows, and in the times when we’ve done everything we’re supposed to do and it still doesn’t work out, it can be extra low. But God is over everything, and He understands the parts of life that we don’t. And His plans for our lives always work out, all we must do is trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment