Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Megaphone

What would you say if the world gave you a megaphone?  What would you add to the discussion? 

As a pastor and a blogger, as someone who speaks for a living, I have a lot of things to say.  Thirty one years of experience in what not to do have given me many different opinions and points of view.  I often have ideas, concepts, verses, and object lessons that I want to share with people.  Sometimes I even preach to myself.
 
And yet today, as I type into my megaphone, I am torn.  Many different ideas for a blog topic came to me today, and I shrugged them all off.  Some because I did not want to hurt the feelings of those who hurt me, so I kept my hurts off the internet and chose to only share them with those I trust.  Other topics were discarded because I realized that they were not intended to lift people up, but instead to cause dissention and to voice my opinion rather than build up Christ.  And still others didn’t get posted here today because they were stupid (hey, that can’t all be gems).
 
We all hold a megaphone, and we all choose what we want to say.  Often we contribute to the media through the megaphones of Twitter and Facebook, but we spend a lot of time talking, texting, and other forms of communication where we share ourselves with the world.  Sometimes we limit what we say and other times we blast forth.  Many of us have lost sight of the fine art of self-editing.  We say what we feel or whatever we think, rather than those things that encourage and lift up others and glorify God. 
 
What would you say if the world gave you a megaphone?  It did.  How did you use it?

No comments:

Post a Comment