Monday, October 21, 2013

Extravagant Insignificances

I think my smart phone is making me dumber.  Is dumber even a word, or should it be “more dumb”?  I don’t even know anymore.  My smart phone is making me more dumber (there, I’ve covered all my bases).

Time I used to spend reading or thinking I now spend playing games on my phone.  Time I might have spent talking with someone I now spend texting or checking email.  I am putting less quality into my life and instead filling my time with uselessness.
While we all know this can be true of life in the digital age, I think this has been true for centuries.  As human beings, we get wrapped up in a whole lot of things that don’t matter, and we forget the things that do.  This is why in Matthew 6:25-34 Jesus tells us not to worry about petty, insignificant stuff like having food to eat or clothes to wear.  I know that sounds important, but Jesus suggests that if we focus on God and fill ourselves up with Him, everything else will just fall into place.  I love the way Jesus turns everything I feel as a human on its head, but I believe that He is right.  The things I think are so important are really extravagant insignificances that distract me from my relationship with the God of the Universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment