Monday, November 11, 2013

A Band Aid on the Body of Christ

The other day I cut my thumb while slicing a tomato.  I guess I have a hard time telling the two apart.  It’s just a little one, but I cut myself right on the tip of my thumb; you know that place on your finger where it’s impossible to keep a Band-Aid?  Plus, all the Band-Aid’s we have in our house have princesses on them, so not only do they not stay on but they are pink and sparkley. 

And it’s with this wound on my thumb that I am beginning to see how often I use my thumb.  I have trouble buttoning my shirts, it’s hard to use basic tools, and worst of all texting is almost impossible.  This is a crisis, and brought on by something as simple as a small cut.
God compares His church to a body, and He says that for the body to function properly, all the parts need to be in working order.  What that means is that everyone needs to be using the gifts, personality, and life experiences that are unique to them to make church the best it can possible be.  Some of us may feel insignificant, like no one would miss us if we were gone, but that is absolutely not true.  Just like I have trouble functioning with only a tiny little cut, church isn’t the same without you there.  If things in your life have been getting between you and coming to church, we miss you and we need you here.  You matter to us and you matter to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment