Monday, November 18, 2013

Tuesday Bears

The other day I posted a Facebook status where I quoted something my four-year-old said.  She walked into the room and excitedly said “Let’s pretend it’s Tuesday and that we’re all bears.”  I thought this was very funny.  I mean is there something I don’t know about bears and Tuesdays?  Or is Tuesday just a better day to be a bear?  Is there a standing invitation on Tuesdays to be bears, but since it wasn’t Tuesday we all had to pretend that it was?  The possibilities here were endless, and I was sure that all my Facebook friends would agree on the funniness of this statement.  I was so happy because I have this friend whose son says stuff like this all the time, and she gets like a million “likes.”  Surely this was good for a couple hundred.

And I got 2.
My ego was deflated.  No one thought this comment was funny, or at least not funny enough to “like.”  In comedian terms, 2 likes is the equivalent of bombing a joke.

Often our feelings about ourselves come from what other people say about us.  If they “like” our comment we matter, but if it goes mysteriously “unliked” that must be because we aren’t good enough or funny enough or whatever enough.  Essentially we come to the conclusion that if people don’t tell us we matter then we must not.  This couldn’t be farther from the truth.  Your worth comes from being made in the image of God; He loves you and He gives you value.  You don’t have to struggle for status and gain self-worth from the people around you because if you had been the only person on the face of the planet Christ would still have given His life for a relationship with you.  And no amount of “likes” can come anywhere close to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment