Monday, February 17, 2014

Appreciating or Enjoying?

I spent this past weekend attending a Music Educator’s conference with my wife.  She is a band director and she got to learn a great deal at the sessions. Meanwhile, I got to go on a cheap getaway with my wife while our kids were with grandparents.  Everybody wins!

One evening we attended a concert performed by the best High School band in the state.  The music was really excellent, but I noticed something interesting.  At one point in their program they started playing a mambo.  It was upbeat with exciting Latin rhythms and a punchy melody.  I couldn’t help but move around a little in my chair; bobbing my head, drumming on the armrest, tapping my toes.  But as I looked around the room I noticed that I was the only one moving.  Everyone else was stoic. 
This room full of band directors was so busy appreciating the music that they didn’t bother to enjoy it.

Many Christians react to God and His Word in a similar manner.  Many of us appreciate the fact the Jesus died to forgive our sins, but we don’t enjoy that freedom that we have in Christ.  Instead, many Christians are some of the most negative, bitter, difficult people that I know.  We appreciate Christ and all He has done, but we don’t enjoy the reality of our forgiveness on an everyday basis.  We don’t let it overflow into our lives.  We don’t experience joy or peace or contentment or any of the things that should come along with the abundant life found in Christ.  Today, don’t just appreciate what God has done for you, let it seep in to your life and enjoy His grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment