Monday, May 19, 2014

Nothing Left to do but Go

Many of you already know this about me, but our family loves going to Walt Disney World.  We make a lot of sacrifices so that we can travel there as often as possible, usually once per year.  Disney World is kind of a hobby of mine, but since the actual vacation only happens for one week out of the year, that means I need to spend the rest of the year planning and preparing, which for me is still part of the fun.

The only problem is, as of today, all the planning and preparing is over.  The hotels are booked, our dining is reserved, our FastPass+ options are locked in, and we’ve even checked in online.  Not only that, but our trip is completely paid for.  There is nothing left to do but to go.

This past weekend at church was our Graduation Recognition Service.  It was a special time with our seniors, and Christ was honored as we looked at what He had done and was continuing to do in their lives.  Before the service began, I looked at the parents and said “are we ready?” and one mom, through tears, said “no!” 


As parents you work throughout all of your kids’ lives to get them ready, and then when it is time all the planning and preparing comes to an end.  There is nothing left to do but for them to go.  I’ve always believed that the role of a parent is to work yourself out of a job.  I am far from there, but I know my girls will be walking across that stage, and then walking down that aisle, sooner than I care to think.  In the meantime I want to do everything I can so that when they get to that point in their lives they are ready and there is nothing left to do but go.

No comments:

Post a Comment